Profile of the Organization:
- Total acres protected = 11,348 acres, 146 properties, over 8.50 miles of shore frontage including over 4,700 feet frontage on Lake Sunapee;
- Area of operation = Mt. Kearsarge/Ragged/Lake Sunapee region including Andover, Bradford, Danbury, Grantham, Goshen, Newbury, New London, Springfield, Sunapee, Sutton, Wilmot and Warner;
- Founded in 1987;
- 1,100+ memberships;
- Operated by a volunteer board of trustees;
- Full-time executive director, 1 full-time land protection specialist and four supporting staff members;
- 200+ volunteers provide year round support for easement monitoring and committee work;
- Funded through membership, donations, special events & grants;
- Private, non-profit, 501(C)(3) organization. Donations to Ausbon Sargent are tax deductible as provided by Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Our mission is to preserve and protect the rural character of the Mt. Kearsarge/Ragged/Lake Sunapee region for public benefit through:
- Land Conservation--to protect the farms, forest, streams and wetlands, the special undeveloped “open” spaces.
- Stewardship--to safeguard our conserved land, now and forever.
- Community Commitment--to increase public involvement and awareness of the benefits and value of conserved land.
- Organizational Integrity--to continue as a trusted organization of excellence.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Increasing the conserved acreage overall, specifically in special underserved areas of the region, and working with decision makers and potential partners in the 12 communities we serve;
- Continuing to review the most efficient and effective monitoring resources and strategies and ensuring we have adequate financial reserves;
- Improving methods of communication regarding the benefits of conserved land that help to strengthen relationships, expand partnerships and increase membership;
- Providing educational opportunities for trustees and staff, annually updating development and succession plans and maintaining appropriate accreditation and financial oversight of the land trust.